We are currently working on repairs and restoration of Martello Tower No14 located on the eastern boundary of Hythe Firing Ranges. The tower was constructed in 1805-6 as one of a chain of eleven stretching between Hythe and Dymchurch. This historic, unconverted Grade II listed structure is in need of metalwork repairs, re-pointing, brick replacement, rebuilding of brick arches to the ammunition stores, as well as various other general repairs and maintenance after years of damage by the sea air. The upper brickwork is exposed, and some of the stone parapet coping has been lost.
The image below shows Tower No14 prior to commencement of the works. We aim to get the majority of work complete before the weather turns over the winter months.
The below shows the Martello Tower fully scaffolded and ready for work to commence. Instead of the original stucco covering, this tower has an outer layer of yellow brickwork. The upper brickwork is exposed, and some of the stone parapet coping has been lost. The windows have been bricked up, but in a way that allows ventilation.
Below is the view of the gun deck a the top of the tower where the 24 pounder cannon would once have stood. A number of the repairs are to this area.